Do you own a full lace wig that is matted, shedding, tangled, and poofy? Have you spent hundreds of dollars on full lace wigs only to have them end up looking like a rat’s nest? Do you need to revive a full lace wig for a special event because you don’t have the money to splurge on a new one? Have you abused your full lace wig and want to turn things around? If you have answered yes to any of these questions then your full lace wig help is here. Full lace wigs are versatile, convenient, and offer an alternative to hair extensions. Even though there are many perks that come with full lace wigs, maintenance is somewhat of a downfall. Full lace wigs last up to three years on average, however, with time, use, and abuse, your once glorious full lace wig is now anything but which leaves you wondering, what can I do to give my full lace wig life and beauty again? Well here is a list of options to revive your shedding, matted, tangled, frizzy full lace wigs with some much needed TLC.
- Clorox Brand Bleach
- Clarifying Shampoo
- Hot Tap Water
- Large Basin
- Wide Tooth Comb or Detangling Brush
- Rubber Gloves
- Put on rubber gloves before starting the process.
- If you have a stainless steel sink, you should use it for the bleach and ammonia portion of the process. Apply one gallon of hot tap water into a large basin or sink. The water should be extremely hot but not boiling.
- Add ¼ cup of Clorox bleach into the gallon of water. For severely matted hair, double the amount of Clorox bleach to ½ cup per one gallon of hot tap water.
- Submerge the full lace wig into the bleach solution and begin to detangle with a wide tooth comb or detangling brush for a period of no more than 3 minutes.
- After 3 minutes has expired, remove the wig from the solution.
- Using a clarifying shampoo mixed in a small basin of warm water, swish the full lace wig in the solution to remove the bleach and water residue. During this time, drain the water and bleach from the sink or basin. Continue to brush or comb through the hair to keep it from tangling during the process.
- Refill your basin or sink with three cups of hot water.
- Next, add ¼ cup of ammonia and add it to the three cups of hot water. For severely tangled or matted hair, double this amount to ½ of ammonia per three cups of hot water.
- Submerge the hair into the ammonia and water solution using a dipping/dunking motion for a few times (no more than 1 to 2 minutes) while gently combing/brushing through the hair on the wig.
- Follow up with the same water and clarifying shampoo mix to remove the ammonia from the hair.
- Rinse the wig thoroughly with water.
- Deep condition the hair with a moisturizing conditioner or silicon mix. You can also place the wig into a zip lock bag in the microwave for ten seconds. You can also place a hot steamed towel over the bag if you do not feel comfortable placing your wig into the microwave.
- Let the hair air dry and enjoy tangle free hair.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Ultimate Knot Sealer Combo for Severe Shedding
- Wig head
- 3M craft adhesive or any craft adhesive spray
- Aussie Instant Freeze Hair Spray
- Fan or fresh air
- Plastic Cap
- Place your full lace wig inside out on a wig head. You can opt to attach the wig head with pins to keep it stable.
- Take your plastic cap and tuck any hair inside of the cap. Make sure that the elastic on the plastic cap covers any areas that you do not want to penetrate with knot sealer.
- Next, using light strokes, spray Aussie Instant Freeze onto the knots on the cap. Apply 3 light coats of the spray letting each coat dry completely in between.
- Next, apply two light coats of 3m adhesive craft spray letting each layer dry completely before applying the next layer.
- Place the full lace wig in front of a fan or window and allow it to dry until it is dry to the touch.
- This fool proof method has worked for me each time I over bleached my full lace wigs. You can also use this after each wash to ensure that the knots remain secure on your full lace wig.
- As you can see, there are many ways to revive an old, used and abused laced wig. So don’t throw out your old units. Get them back in tip top shape with the methods above.